Recent Additions to '92 Dakota

From: Kraieski, Mark (Mark.Kraieski@transquest.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 1997 - 15:13:33 EST

I have a '92 Club 4x4. Recently I added the following:

1. Combination rearview mirror / interior lights / compass / outside
thermometer. This is a pretty slick unit from Mito (
http://www.mitocorp.com/mirror.htm ). I was looking for a fluxgate
compass (fully electronic and self-calibrating) and separate outdoor
thermometer when I found this unit. The added map/dome lights built into
the mirror are also a great addition in club cabs where the dome light
is so far back and so dim. Installation was pretty easy but does require
dropping the headliner and one of the pillars. The package is very well
done and looks OEM. Temperature sensor was mounted inside the left end
of the front bumper.

2. Shelf-It overhead accessory shelf. This was installed to mount a CB,
SWR/Power meter, and speaker. Installation is straight-forward but
renders the visors useless for the side windows (they drop to far). I'm
looking for replacement visors that are bent at 90 degrees instead of
the stock Dakota units.

3. Wilson 1000 roof mount CB antenna. Since I already had the headliner
down for item 1... Yes, I drilled a hole in my roof. The antenna is
mounted dead center in the roof, just forward of the cross brace. I
consider this the best possible antenna setup for a truck (better than a
bumper mounted 102 inch whip). I did shorten the antenna coax down to 4
feet with no change in SWR (1.2:1 or better across band).

4. Uniden PC122XL SSB/CB. Mounted in the Shelf-It. Not fully satisfied
with this purchase. Adjacent channel rejection and audio quality are
fair. But I did not think a Grant would fit in the Shelf-It.

All-in-all, I'm pleased with these additions. The compass and
temperature display are flawless. And my first SSB contact was over 1500
miles. And it all looks pretty good.

Oh, one another addition. A new driver's side door. Complements of some
driver suffering from a detached cerebellum.

Mark
Mark E. Kraieski
Director, Enterprise Product Development
TransQuest, Inc. 404/773-8537
mailto:mark.kraieski@transquest.com