Re: Squealing sound in 2nd.

From: James Babcock (james.a.babcock@adn.alcatel.com)
Date: Mon Feb 24 1997 - 14:49:00 EST

If you are getting vibration along with the squeal, don't wait to fix
it. It's probably a bad pilot bearing. This results in a misalignment
of the tranny input shaft, and it will grind up the bearing on the
input shaft. If it's just noise, it's probably the throwout bearing.
I don't think that modern throwout bearings fail catastrophically.
If it seizes, it will wear out the fingers on the clutch plate.
It probably won't strand you any time soon, but you should
get it looked at.

My $.02 YMMV.

-Jim.
'87 V6 auto 4x4