FW: K&N FIPK on a 96 V-8

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 17:12:00 EST

>[snip question about 92-95 FIPK on a 96]
>[Then sam replied...]
>> You CAN put an K&N FIPK on the '96, just don't try to smog it
>> with it on... You can swap the FIPK out and put stock one back on in

>Thanks Sam, I called K&N (909)684-9762 but talked to someone other
>than Regina. He said:

> "You cannot put the 92-95 FIPK on a 96, in 9 out of 10 cases the
>Check engine light comes on and it runs worse than stock. This is
>due to the computer monitoring the air flow (etc...). We'd love to
>sell you one, but it wouldn't be right. We are currently trying
>to develop one for the 96"

This is what K&N told me too, but Jules told me different... Instead of
ordering the FIPK from K&N, I ordered a "clone" from Jules, it should be
arriving any day now (maybe even today!)... What I don't understand is
that there isn't a whole lot *TO* the FIPK, it's just a different air
cleaner, and/or valve cover breather for the truck.. Why wouldn't it work
for our 96's?? Any of you guys who already have one (on a '92-'95) can
jump in anytime... AFAIK I'm basically just getting rid of my stock air
cleaner, and the intake hose, for a open element air cleaner?? I would
imagine this would work fine, and the computer would adjust for the
increased airflow. Yes/no/maybe?

> I, personally, don't believe him about the 96. There aren't that
>many 96's out there that would make it profitable to design and
>sell a special application. <sigh>.

I can't imagine that our engines are *THAT* much different, either...
Jules says he's been hotrodding 96 Daks all year... I highly doubt he's
lying... are the '97 air cleaners basically the same style as the '96's??
 Are they OBD-II?? If they're similar, then K&N will likely move on
designing one to fit...

> Oh worry worry worry worry. What to do, what to do. Any 92-95 owners
>want to match my bid on Karl's used FIPK ? Should I just put it on and
>go for it, and if it doesn't work, try and sell it ??

If we take K&N's word as gospel, then my clone application may not work
either... I'm going on what Jules has said *WILL* work for me... guess
I'll be the '96 guinea pig... I've been waiting over a year for MP to
release the %$@$ SBEC, and if they won't do it, I'll find other ways to
modify my Dak, thanks to MPI and Jules...

>Lee "How do I get myself in these messes" Jacobs - 96 SLT CC 4x4

Hang in there, we'll find the answers together... there's enough of us
'96 owners on the list. I should know more about whether this all works
in the next week or two, but I know that doesn't really help your
decision now....

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/MSD Ignition soon!