Re: K&N FIPK on a 96 V-8

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@king.cts.com)
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 14:19:04 EST

At 11:13 AM 2/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
*snip*
> I, personally, don't believe him about the 96. There aren't that
>many 96's out there that would make it profitable to design and
>sell a special application. <sigh>.
>
> This leaves me in a real dilema. I told Karl I would buy his FIPK,
>but K&N is saying no. I've got the money order and envelope ready.
>
> Oh worry worry worry worry. What to do, what to do. Any 92-95 owners
>want to match my bid on Karl's used FIPK ? Should I just put it on and
>go for it, and if it doesn't work, try and sell it ??
>
>Lee "How do I get myself in these messes" Jacobs - 96 SLT CC 4x4

        Here's something you might try. Can you get a drop in K&N filter for
your '96 (vs. the open FIPK)??? If so, get one... Try it, then to make
things interesting (and a CHEAP way to get more HP), go to the junk yard and
get another closed-canister air cleaner from a Mopar vehicle (so you don't
hack up your stock-original one). I am not sure of the fit necessary, but if
you measure the TB you should be able to find a correct fit. Then, take the
new aircleaner box, and create another opening (2 inlets for snorkles vs. 1).
OldsMobiles use to have these things a long time ago. Once you get the correct
fit, then get some snorkle tubing, and run it to the grill on the left side (or
below the air dam. You should pickup a few ponies doing that. I did it on
my '91
and it worked out pretty good...(I was able to find a '90 V8 318 air box, the
exact unit for my '91, and used it for my dual inlet).. More air...

        Now, if you get a Check ENG. light, you are out maybe $20.00.... NOT
$120!

        Sam '95 SLT