Re: Tranny Problem

From: Chris Smith (mopar@tough.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 1997 - 23:08:19 EST

Ron Gallimore wrote:

> I took my truck to the dealership last week because it was not shifting
> to overdrive. They replaced the overdrive solonoid and also determined
> that the speed sensor was bad (no code when I ran it). I now have been
> driving it fo 3 days with the same problem, but now it very seldom goes
> to overdrive. I have noticed that if I accelerate quickly, it usually
> does not go to OD, but if I do it easily, it _usually_ does. Do you
> think it could be the transmission going? Any other ideas? BTW, the
> truck has 57,300 miles on it.
>
> Thanks
> Ron
> '92 Dakota Sport, V-6, Auto

It could be the overdrive unit:( Have you had the fluid changed
lately? This could help. The fluid flow to the OD unit is not that
great with the Dakota trans (at least '93 and earlier). Also, this
gives you a chance to see how much metal is in the pan.

When mine went bad, I started to noticed a slight increase in RPM when
it did shift to overdrive, compared to what I was used to.

I spent $500 for a Junk Yard trans. Rebuild was quoted at $1,300 or so.

--
-Chris Smith
mopar@tough.com