Dakota problem

From: marilyn osterhout (moster2@dmci.net)
Date: Fri Feb 28 1997 - 21:03:00 EST

We have a 91 Dakota truck with a strange problem that the Dodge dealers
cannot seem to locate.. Can you help?
It is a 3.9 liter V6 automatic with no air...
Drives great all over town... close to home... anytime we start and stop
frequently...
Highway driving... first 25 or 30 miles... fine... after that, it seems to
slow down, then surge ahead...
It started two years ago... winter driving from Michigan to Virginia.. snow
and slush.. about 5 hours from home it slowed down, acting as if it would
stop.. took it to a dealer off the turnpike... could not find the problem..
it drove fine all the rest of the way -- about 11 hours -- and all the way back.
Next time it was the following winter.. driving about 40 miles.. same road
conditions... again, afterward it drove fine.
This last fall it started again.. warm weather this time, but still highway
driving conditions.. more than 25 miles from home, it gives us this problem.
After arriving home, we have no problems.. I can drive (8 miles) to work and
back with no problem...
We have had the transmission filter changed.. oxygen sensor changed...
vacuum hose changed... replaced thermostat... another sensor (just has a
number 56027015)....
Do you have any ideas? It would be much appreciated... I really enjoy this
Dakota... but it has us puzzled!
Marilyn