Re: 92 v6 dakota wont idle

From: Chris Smith (mopar@tough.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 1997 - 21:17:10 EST

jhaveron@aol.com wrote:

> 2 days ago the truck died in the parking lot.
> when I start it if it is cold it might idle
> around 1000 rpm, but if I throttle it down
> it dies. If I hold my foot on the gas the rpms
> will bounce between 400 -1000. my thought are
> a computer chip or fuel filter. Any ideas

Try fuel filter first (unless you 92 is in the tank, but I don't think
so)

Does it run fine otherwise? if so...
On the back of the throttle body is the Idle Air Control Motor. It's a
computer controlled diaphram type device that controls idle speed. If
it gets really dirty with carbon it can stick. Try cleaning it with
carb. cleaner. Leave the battery disconnected overnight so computer
will 'forget' where it was trying to set it to and see if that helps.

--
-Chris Smith
mopar@tough.com