Re: Greetings from a newbie.

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Tue Mar 04 1997 - 16:10:37 EST

Congrats on your choosing a Dakota. My '97 is my first and I bought mine
without ever even sitting in one.....and I couldn't be happier with
it....well...there's the dealer...but I digress.

As for the options...I don't want to comment much as different people want
different things out of their vehicles. I ordered mine pretty simple. Had it
set up to haul ass!! 4x2, reg. cab, Sport, 318, 5spd, 3.55SG, 4WABS, 22 gal.
tank (this was a mistake by the salesman but I'm glad it's there now, air, and
tilt only...no cruise. The only thing I wished I had gotten was power windows
and locks. But that I can remedy for much cheaper than what the dealer wanted.

Go with the 318. If you drive one your decision will be made. If you *do*
decide on the V6 get the 3.9 rear. It sounds like a nice truck you've got
planned though. What color?

Remember to pick your dealer carefully.

sean

Warren, MI
sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Hi - just subscribed to the list -

Well, I don't have my Dakota yet. In fact I haven't even ordered it!
(Hopefully next week...) So I figure now is a good time to ask you
seasoned veterans to review my options list.

 Dakota Sport Club Cab (5-spd) w/
 3.55 Sure Grip
 Tire and handling package
 Trailer tow prep group
 Heavy use group
 Light group
 Tilt and cruise
 Fog lights
 Floor mats
 V8???

I had decided on going for the V8, but then I saw the gas mileage figures...
Being a poor college student, I don't know if I can justify the expense
of buying/owning the V8, especially since most of my driving is <5 miles
around town. Most of my towing will be restricted to small bass boats and
U-Haul trailers, so I don't really *need* the V8. Will I regret having the
V6?

Thanks! john
`91 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, soon to be traded for something with a *big* trunk.