Re: Coolant smell...its actually...

From: rdab@snet.net
Date: Thu Mar 06 1997 - 00:39:13 EST

Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com wrote:

> Tom, Jim, Sam,
>
> Thanks for the responses. After reading what you all have suggested I
> realized I left out some info.
>
> The smell exists in all modes, including regular vents. So long as
> the temperature is set to use heated air I get the smell. I haven't
> lost any coolant that I can tell. I've checked the rad. 3 times and
> it's completely full. The only exception to this was after I had it
> checked the first time I noticed a 1" diameter puddle of coolant on
> the passenger side rubber floormat.
>
> This is where I started to get pissed. A three week old truck and I
> find coolant on the floor. That small drip, however, is the only time
> I've seen any leakage. This is what led me to believe that there was
> possibly coolant on the *outside* of the core. As the air blows past
> it picks up the smell.
>
> The service manager said he could sense my doubts after the second go
> 'round and that raised doubts in his mind as well. I told him the
> only way I would be 100% sure there were no leaks (pressure test or
> not) was for them to r2 the heater core. His response was that they
> would hate to pull a factory installed dash assembly and find nothing
> and chance other problems down the line from having to dismantle
> everything. I thought this was just his way of getting out of all the
> work but I figured I'd wait and see if the "citrus cleaner" got rid of
> the smell.
>
> Well, as I said, it's back. This is going to be the third time now.
> The only reason I don't take it in immediately is I'm sick of running
> back and forth to the dealer when I going to have to go in soon when
> the damn brake parts come in.
>
> I'm considering the "Zone Office" idea. I left a message for the
> general manager of the dealership and never got call back. I'm also
> going to look into Michigan's Lemon Law rules. I believe they state
> that if they can't fix a problem in 3 tries it's "new truck time".
> What really pisses me off is that my wife almost hates riding in the
> truck because of the smell.
>
> I'm all worked up now so I think I'll call my dealership and ream 'em
> a bit. I post results as I get 'em.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> sean

> Subject: Coolant smell...its actually...
> <snip>
> comes when you either first turn on the AC, or the defroster (runs off
> of
> the AC), and not during standard 'vent' or HEATER.
>
> <snip>
>
> Let me know if this is the situation, I'm curious..(I have
> a '95).
>
> Sam '95 SLT
>

> The heater core in my 87 Dak sprung a leak this past fall. I chose to
fix it myself because the labor charge would have been too steep to
swallow. I can tell you that this is not a job for the faint of heart.
Even though I put in a new core, thoroughly washed out the entire heater
box assembly and replaced all of the foam rubber seals that I could, I
still get a coolant smell, especially with the heater on. I think that
some of the residue must get onto the insides of the air ducts or
something like that. BTW getting the whole assembly to seal up again is
a collosal PIA. Mine still has a cold air leak coming from somewhere
under the dash that I can't find. But, this truck is 10 years old. If
it were new I guess I'd be really steaming. I guess my advice is that
even getting them to take it apart to check might not be the best
solution. Hope this helps some. Good luck.

Rich
87 4x4 SE LB 3.9 Auto, lots of new parts

--
# Netscape folder cache