FW: Re[2]: open element air cleaner

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 13:29:00 EST

>>Yes K&N makes a filter for the 97 dak.The part number is 33-2084 this
is
>>the same as the 96, I put one in my 97 about ten days ago.

> Hmmm... Is this a recent change? From what I gathered from the
recent
>list discussion, K&N did not offer one after 95. One or two people even
>called K&N to confirm this. Am I thinking of a different filter, or has
>K&N finally started production?

Hopefully I can clear this up a bit... K&N *DOES* make an air filter that
will fit the*STOCK* air cleaner on the 1996 Daks. I believe it is no
different than the '94-'95 filter. K&N *DOES NOT* make a FIPK for the
1996 Daks. I ordered a FIPK-clone from Jules for my '96 and put it on
yesterday... I haven't put many miles on since, but it definitely makes a
difference, has that hissing suction sound at part throttle, and a
throaty "whoooomp" at WOT (reminiscent of the four-barrel carbs of
old)... Like I said I haven't driven it enough to tell whether it's a
noticeable difference in performance, I'm going to wait until I get the
whole package, with the Gibson exhaust, and the Super Street TBI from
MPI. But as far as normal driveability since I've put it on, it's seems
fine (as opposed to K&N who says it'll run worse...) from idle on up
thru 3000 rpm it's quite similar to stock (with the addition of the
suction sound), and from 3000 rpm - 4000 rpm you get that satisfying
throaty whoomp (love it!)... and it makes the engine compartment look
great too... Any other questions I'd be glad to answer...

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone/MSD Ignition soon!