Re: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 15:41:53 EST

>No NOS, only use it on special occasions. Pretty much same set ups with the
>ones I have run against, except I have the club cab and all those were short
>boxes. They all claimed 3.91 gears, some afetrmarket exhuast (cat back) most
>if not all MP sbec, all were newer than mine? Now I was only running low
>15's. There really was nothing special diferent other than club cab mine and
>5 sp theirs. And this was before shift kit, didn't get that in til late. And
>there was a 96 SB 2WD Auto with KN open element, Mopar Performance exhaust,
>pulleys and Magnum Per throttle body whooopin em also. I'll grant you that I
>F you could get everything perfect (take off, all shifts) on identical trucks
>the 5 sp may have an advantage. I absolutely would not want a 5 sp with NOS,
>one missed shift and bye bye hood. There are definitely advantages to both
>but I do not believe the auto is a dis-advantage and certainly not 50 HP
>worth.. I had my butt kicked by another automatic the first 2 weeks I went up
>but a lot of that was that nobody told me to go on the last yellow, I was
>waiting for the green light, you know 1.21 reaction times, cool uh. And I
>been had outa the hole occasionally but catch em at the big end. The guy with
>the 96 said that is the difference in the 93 230 HP and 3" cat VS 94 and
>

>newer 220 HP and 2 1/2 Cat, newer has more low end power 93 has more high end
>power. I always ended up with higher mph than they did also ???
>
>Bill
>
>PS Hey Kuk did you sell your truck yet? How is the GS coming?

Hey Bill. What kind of times are you running? (without nos). I have not
lost to a Dak automatic yet, my second gear puts them away pretty quick.
Hell it pretty much does the same thing to mustangs and stock f-bodies come
to think of it. On the track an automatic might start to catch up once I am
in 3rd, but light to light, I have not found one yet that could make up the
loss in that distance.
A big part of it of course is the driver. I have owned more standards than
auto's, mainly because I enjoy the performance of a standard. Granted my
wife misses shifts in my truck, but her daily driver is an automatic, so she
is not used to it.
They did an article a while back on this very subject in "Car & Driver" or
"Road & Track" ,can't remember which. They took 2 identical cars but one
with standard, the other automatic. They found that when driven by amateur
drivers that 9 times out of 10 the automatic beat the guy driving standard.
But when driven by professionals (or people very familiar with the car) that
the standard beat the guy driving the automatic EVERY time. They went on to
present the physics involved so on and so forth. But the conclusion was
that the driver is the weak link in the standard not the transmission.

Alan...