Re: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Sat Mar 08 1997 - 14:15:50 EST

>I'm not a big red light racer, not healthy for the license or insurance where
>I live, all run ins I have had with them has been at the track.
>
>Check other re: and let me know your thoughts
>
>Bill

Bill I must agree with you there. If I were going to just run a 1/4 mile
track I would go with the auto. No Brainer. Hell my wife could even race
it and do just as well as I do. (would'nt she love that!). My only problem
is that the 1/4 mile track race only comes around once a month, and only
during the season, and then you only get 4 runs, and hell sometimes all 4
runs you end up against some 8-10 second hot rod, not much of a race there.
Here in Austin the real world racing takes place on the street. All the
race fans seem to come out of the woodwork around 10pm on selected streets
around town. About half of the races I am involved in don't even take off
from a stand still, many people will start to slow up for the red, keep it
about 20 mph and nail it on green. This is when it is important to keep the
motor in its power band. If I am forced to downshift (as the auto will do)
my traction is blown, and unless the other guy screwed up as well, I just
lost a race. Now this can be accomplished in an auto by manually shifting
it, but 20 mph is where my 2nd gear really shines, and the guys in the autos
don't stand a chance unless the next light is far enough away to require me
to shift to 3rd. Now I am sure that one night I will get my doors blown off
by that automatic dak owner, but he sure as hell won't be stock, so he will
have paid $$$$ for the honor. Thats cool..

All this talk of autos has given me the urge to test drive a new Dakota with
auto, just to see how peppy it is from the inside, I think i'll go scare the
hell out of my local dodge dealer salesman. I'll let you know what I find. :)

Alan...