Re: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 09:06:11 EST

> I prefer a stick to an automatic, (haven't bought a vehicle without one
> and probably never will) but the Dakota's manual does seem like a weak link
> in the acceleration equation...

  This is strictly my opinion, but I've noticed this exact point used
to criticize the Dakota on Usenet before and I really think it misses
the mark.

  According to the FSM, the NV-3500 5 speed tranny is a "medium duty"
unit. Hence I believe the main design goals for this transmission
were load-carrying, and ability to take a beating. Not lightning-
quick acceleration runs. The wide gear ratios (particularly the
spacing between 1-2) seem to corroborate this opinion.

  I'm not saying the Dakota shouldn't be considered a reasonably-
priced performance vehicle (heck, I just shut down some chump in
an Altima on the onramp this morning ;), but after all, it is a
TRUCK.

  Ron