Re: Re[2]: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 19:45:45 EST

At 06:48 PM 3/7/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Hell no, jsut didn't make sense to me. My view, based on what I know and have
>seen at the strip, is that the shifting of the 5 speeds has way too much hit
>and miss. If you can get a 99% hit rate with the 5 speed from the average and
>even above average person then I would maybe sway to 5 speed. Plus how much
>is lost in the actual 5 speed shifting (I know all you guys are faster than
>greased lightning) ? Side note: stock valve train, power shift at ? 5500 ?
>revs to what at shift? Revs into valve floating range? Revs into rev limiter
>? Engine blubbers and how much is lost?

   I've never power-shifted any of my cars, trucks, bikes, etc. If I
had a racing suit with sponser's logos on it, a spare engine in my
Haulmark racing trailer, etc. then sure, I'd probably powershift. But
I'm not gonna do it in my daily driver. (Ok, you guys in the back can
stop making those "braaawk-braaaawk, cluck-cluck" noises!!) ;)

   You bring up an excellent point concerning the amount of time it
takes to shift. My last car would shift lightning-fast, but my dakota
is pathetic in comparison. A lot of this is due to the long stick
I'm sure, but it seems to me that the transmission just doesn't "want"
to shift fast! When it comes out of gear and goes through neutral,
it "hits something" before going to the next gear. So, its not a
"pull, click" action, its more like "pull, pause, pull, click". I've
tried it a couple of times (without a noticible difference), but I
don't want to have to blast the stick through that spot with brute
strength. (Does anyone else's 5-speed do this, or just mine?)

   Maybe its just an illusion from the recording, but Kuk's manual doesn't
sound stock to me. I didn't see anything on the page about it though...
Those of you who are serious about your 1/4mi times: Are you still running
with the stock stick/transmission?

   I prefer a stick to an automatic, (haven't bought a vehicle without one
and probably never will) but the Dakota's manual does seem like a weak link
in the acceleration equation...

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.