Re: 91' HELP!!!!

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@king.cts.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 11:59:02 EST

At 03:15 PM 3/9/97 EST, you wrote:

>HELP!!! I NEED SOME INFO ON HOW TO GET MORE POWER OUT OF MY
>91' DAKOTA SPORT V8 {5.2 TBI} IT SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING IS FOR
>THE 92'-UP.IS THERE ANYWAY TO BYPASS THE COMPUTER AND USE A 4-BBL?

        Well, I had a '91 V8 Dakota, LE Club Cab. Your engine
is a pre-magnum 318 V8, rated at around 145-165 hp depending who
you talk to. The engine is a TBI throttle Body Injected engine,
which has a computer. Mopar Performance (and probably MAGNUM
PERFORMANCE) has a CAM for it, as well as better Injectors, etc.
The TBI is a HOLLEY unit, so there's got to be something out
there. I wouldn't 'cut up' the truck by putting a 4-bll, or
replacing the electronics. You'd be in for a lot of $$, hassle,
and non-compliance with the EPA (I know who cares...)

        On my '91 I put a drop in K&N (which did help), a good
set of plug wires/plugs (my truck ATE plug wires every 10-12
months, does yours?)... Then I added a 3" CAT back exhaust,
with the CAT opened up to 3" on the outlet side... I also had the
CRIMP on the exhaust replaced later (no real performance difference
to me).

        There's also smog legal headers available for the '91
Dakota V8 (expensive, but worth about 10-15 HP...They are BLACK
in color).

        That's all I know...But after I did the mod's I did,
the truck ran a lot better (had more pull from 1500 rpm up), had
a slight off idle flat spot while cold (no big deal when warmed up),
and my mileage went up 1-2 mpg on the hwy (*19 mpg was the BEST I
ever got). 3.55 gears, automatic.

        Sam '95 SLT