Rear leaf bushing removal

From: Pittermn62@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 12:27:22 EST

Any ideas on getting the rubber bushings out of the leafsprings? This
weekend I spent about seven hours on my 95 reg cab V8/5spd trying to install
some urethane Energy Suspension bushings but could not get the old ones out.

I made the tool the Dodge service manual said to make but it did not work.
 They are stuck!

Here is a description of the tool: Take threaded rod, washers and nuts, put
through a piece of pipe that butts up against the leaf itself, then insert
through the leaf hole. Put a socket that is roughly the OD of the bushing on
the other end along w/ the washers and nut. The bushing is sandwiched
between the socket (driver) and the pipe (receiver). Tighten the socket end
to drive the bushing through.

It looks great on paper, but the bushing wouldn't budge. I even managed to
drive the nuts through the washers! No movement at all.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I don't want to use heat on a spring and
don't know about access to a press, let alone the vehicle downtime
potentially required.

Thanks in advance

Pat