ClutchFlite

From: Lee Jacobs (LJacobs@calvin.uchsc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 13:44:55 EST

In the 70's, it was very popular to mate a 727 TorqueFlite with a 4spd
bellhousing/clutch assembly. Hence the term ClutchFlite.
I myself used one of these for a brief time mated with a 426MaxWedge.

Automatics with a clutch were never an option on CC cars (please correct
me if I'm wrong, and give proof other than concept vehicles).

The biggest con with the ClutchFlite was: You would have to replace
the clutch/pressure plate assembly about every 10 to 20 runs.
(at least *I* did).
The pro of this unit was the 'variable stall speed' out of the hole.

All in all, the 727tf with a reverse manual valve body was my favorite,
coupled with a true 2800 stall torque converter.
But on my Dak, I do like the 5 speed (since I don't race it).

One thing standard transmissions owners could do was to grind off every
other tooth of each gear, allowing less mis-shifts at greater rpms.

   __
  / / ___ ___ Lee Jacobs
 / / / _ \/ _ \ LJacobs@Calvin.UCHSC.Edu
/ /__| __/ __/ University of Colorado Health Sciences
\____/\___|\___| Big Aspirations, Small Wallet.