Re: Bedliners

From: Sam (samp@cts.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 1997 - 17:48:07 EST

JT McBride wrote:

> A cautionary note: The NHTSA (I believe) has issued a warning about drop-in
> plastic bedliners. Several dozen people have been seriously hurt or killed
> by exploding gasoline containers set off by sparks while sitting in the bed
> of pickups equipped with this type bedliner. Evidently, since there is no
> electrical ground between the container and the truck body, a significant
> static charge can be accumulated - then discharged to the (grounded) pump
> nozzle. Recommend you take such containers out of the bed and fill on the
> ground, then place the closed containers back in the bed.
>
> ^^^^ That's for real folks. The same MIGHT be true of the spray-in, though
> the warning I read didn't say anything about it. Be careful out there...

        C'mon Jim, we all know the best way to prevent the electrical discharge
is to smoke a cigarette while fueling up !! (BOOOM). I always have
taken my
gas cans out for the bed while fueling for my jetskis... It's a good
time to
mix the oil anyway.

        Watch, they'll (the gas companys) come out with a static discharge
line from the pumps (like they do for aircraft now)... Maybe I can get
patent?

        ---

        Anyone out there use the Hellwig air bags on their trucks??? I plan
on getting the setup, but was looking any good/bad experiences (these
are
the only alternatives to air shocks, other than helper/overload
springs).
I have the 1450# payload pkg, and when I put my motorcycle on the
receiver
carrier I have, it puts a 400# loud 24" behind the bumper. This leaves
me
about 1" of suspension travel, or the equivalent of 1200# weight in the
bed!
I'll be getting 1/2 yard of sand in the bed of my truck tomorrow, the
most
weight it has ever held. I think my traction problem will go away!

        .. Sam '95 SLT