Bedliners

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 14 1997 - 16:28:15 EST

A cautionary note: The NHTSA (I believe) has issued a warning about drop-in
plastic bedliners. Several dozen people have been seriously hurt or killed
by exploding gasoline containers set off by sparks while sitting in the bed
of pickups equipped with this type bedliner. Evidently, since there is no
electrical ground between the container and the truck body, a significant
static charge can be accumulated - then discharged to the (grounded) pump
nozzle. Recommend you take such containers out of the bed and fill on the
ground, then place the closed containers back in the bed.

^^^^ That's for real folks. The same MIGHT be true of the spray-in, though
the warning I read didn't say anything about it. Be careful out there...

I got a flyer from one of the camper shell outfits here in north county
San Diego about a knock-off spray-in lining that's about $100 cheaper than
Rhino-brand. No direct experience either way as to durability, adhesion, etc.
I suspect it is pretty much the same stuff. I'd wager it all comes down to
preparation - if the bed is roughened a bit and thoroughly cleaned, any
paint-like substance will stick pretty well.

I have a lot of projects ahead of it, but I plan to use Gravel-Gard paint
to refinish my bed. Very expensive way to go [about equal to Rhino with
my free labor] but the result is body color (Emerald metallic). I also
intend to do the entire body below the beltline, so the bed's a handy place
to get the color match just right.

Jim

P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P
Defining Material Possessions: Dakota 4x4 Pickup with 230 hp V8, 155 mph
Kawasaki Ninja 900, SCUBA gear, Hiking Boots, bicycles, Macintosh computer,
SAAB Sonett(s), chainsaw, knives, guns, books, copy of the Constitution.
          ~%@%~ Politically Incorrect and Proud of It! ~%@%~
Clarifying Wants: McLaren F1 GTR, Bill Gate's House, Silicon Graphics Onyx2.
-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-P--P-PP-