Re: Gear Ratios (was re:'97 wind whistle)

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 06:31:14 EST

>How hard is it to get the gears changed. I ordered my truck with
>the basic 3.21. After reading this group and the newsgroups, I have
>decided that, after I drive it for a while, I might want the 3.55's.
>Is this an expensive undertaking? Has anybody done it to their truck
>after market? Thanks,

>Ryan

Ryan

The shop here in Austin that I used to install the sure grip in my
differential charges $200 labor to change out gears. Jules sells the gears
for less than $300. The dealership wants $400 for them. So for $500 you
can have the gear ratio of your choice. Someone on this list once said they
could get it done much cheaper, but I have not found a better deal where I
live. I think if I was going to spend that kind of money I would upgrade to
at least 3.90's though. Get the most for your $500. Also, if you don't
have limited slip consider having it installed at the same time, there is no
extra labor if you have it done all at the same time.

Hope this helps

Alan...