Re: New best time!

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 17:42:39 EST

> Just a thought (because I haven't timed my truck yet), but in my
>experiences on the street ;) If run up against someone I know will take
>a 'speed' race vs. a 1-2nd its over (I do a lot of those), I will shift
>3rd at around 3700 rpm (the top of the 3rd's torque), and let 4th gear
>take over... That drops forth to around 3000 rpm (I think), which runs
>good on torque (above 255 Ft. Lbs.) and good on HP (up around 150)...
>
> What RPM are you shifting at in each gear?? Where can I go to
>'try' my truck at here in So. CAL??? :)
>
> ..Sam '95 SLT

Sam

My 1-2 shift is the least important of the entire run (second gear is strong
anywhere after 3000). My 2-3 shift has to happen at around 5300 (3rd really
only comes on strong after 4000). Now here is the problem. I am just
passing through 5300 in 3rd as I cross the 1/4, but the power has been
falling since 4400. But If I try shifting to forth before 5300 I always
lose 2/10 reguardless of where the shift comes 3000-5000. So with my
current gear config. (3.21's) I need the power curve shifted up so that I am
at least pulling closer to 5000. Thats where those f-body guys really
shine. Stock, thier hp peak is around 5000, so they are pulling hard at the
top end of the track, and there torqe curve is flat from 1900 all the way to
4800 or so.
I think I will try the rocker arms first, then if it gives up too much down
low I will put on the bigger gears to make up for it. I am afraid that if
just put the gears on I will be up against the same problem, except I'll be
in forth instead of third. I'll let you know how it goes. I plan on
putting the truck on the dino this week or next, then again after the
rockers, we'll see how well they work.

As for tracks in the southern Cal area? Anyone, anyone. Help the man out
here guys, he wants to burn up those 215's so he can buy some bigger tires. :)

Alan...