Re: Low resale value on '96 model?!?

From: Hipowr@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 17 1997 - 23:31:06 EST

> > Paul Caskey wrote:
> > >
> > > My Dakota is a fully loaded 4x4 SLT V8 ext.cab, and is exactly one
year
> > > old. I paid $25,000 for it new, including tax, title, license,
extended
> > > warrantee, etc., etc, and thought I got a pretty good deal. (The MSRP
> > > total with all the extras was about $28,000 if I recall.)
> > >
> > > Now I look up its value, and both Edmund's and the NADA book show it
> > > being worth around $15,000. That's a 40% loss in one year!!! I was
> > > considering upgrading my Dakota to a bigger Dodge truck, for larger
> > > towing purposes. But I can't afford to lose $10,000! I still owe
$20k
> > > on the loan!
> > >
> Are you sure about this? 25K sounds like too much for even a 4X4. I paid
> $100 over invoice for my loaded v8 2wd(95) ($14,173). There is no reason
> to ever pay more than 100-300 dollars over invoice for a new vehicle. I
> had a dealer in OK that was willing to sell me an extended cab full size
> for $300 over. I just waited a couple of months for the my local dealer
> to get hungry in January and they caved in to my demands. If yours
> won't, find another! Good luck.

     I'd say it sounds high too. I got a '95 4X4 V8 club cab SLT. The truck
cost me $20500 brand new plus about $900 for the extended warranty. I've got
pretty much everything on it except the limited slip and a really high end
stereo, I just have the base AM/FM casette. I love this truck too, best of
everything.

later,
AJ