Low resale value on '96 model?!?

From: Paul Caskey (pcaskey@swcp.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 1997 - 20:18:05 EST

My Dakota is a fully loaded 4x4 SLT V8 ext.cab, and is exactly one year
old. I paid $25,000 for it new, including tax, title, license, extended
warrantee, etc., etc, and thought I got a pretty good deal. (The MSRP
total with all the extras was about $28,000 if I recall.)

Now I look up its value, and both Edmund's and the NADA book show it
being worth around $15,000. That's a 40% loss in one year!!! I was
considering upgrading my Dakota to a bigger Dodge truck, for larger
towing purposes. But I can't afford to lose $10,000! I still owe $20k
on the loan!

This is a major bummer. I was considering upgrading to a bigger Dodge
truck for greater towing capacity, but now I'll just have to make due
with what I have. Is the '97 Dakota just so popular that there's no
market at all for '94-'96?

(Sorry if this is a FAQ ... I tried looking through the archive but it's
too hard to search ...)

Paul Caskey mailto:pcaskey@swcp.com http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey
"Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like
it to keep in touch." --Robert Orben