Re: 97 wind whistle[2]

From: Brett Stoner (brett@abacusinfo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 14:54:00 EST

>Brett;
>
>On my Previous vehicles (2 Rangers and 1 Explorer) I have used neoprene
>carpet padding (closed cell variety). however, in the Dak access to the
>club cab side panels is limited to varied size hand holes and to contact
>cement the neoprene padding to the body panels is difficult. Therefore I
>switched to egg-crate style foam (as seen in audio rooms and the such) and
>regular felt, breathable carpet padding, similar to that used by the
>factory.

Where does one get this foam? There is a place around here that sells
Dynamat brand road noise insulation, but that seems to be very expensive at
the least. The plave that sells it swears by it, but you're probably
talking $100-$200 for material alone to do the truck.

>You will notice after removing the cab ext. trim panels that you can now
>remove the under rear seat storage tray and you will see that the factory
>did not provide much padding in this area (beyond where the carpet stops),
>this is probably do to the fact that with the storage tray in place and
>seats folded down they figure that is enough sound deadening. I on the
>other hand used the felt padding to cover every exposed area of body panel
>that would not effect the re-attachment of the storage tray and trim
>panels. This is very time consuming, however once you are done the
>Infinity system sounds much better and under truck road noise is muffled.

Is there a trick or something I should know before removing the body
panels? I did it by trial and error on my Ranger to install the cell phone
antena and it was not a lot of fun.

>I also removed my overhead console (had major air movement from this area
>when you opened the sunglass storage door) cut a piece of felt 9.5" x 16"
>and placed it above the metal mounting bracket, to cover the headliner
>opening and cut two pieces of foam to fit at the front corners (you will
>see why when the console is removed) and replaced the console assembly. It
>worked great.

I've also got the overhead console, but I haven't really noticed any air
leaking from that area. (Although, I don't think I've had the sunglass
door open while I was driving. I'll have to look at that)

>Good luck, hope I helped,

Thanks again:) If you find out anything on the wind noise please let me
know and I'll do the same. I was thinking of trying to put in some
additional rubber weather stripping around the door edges, but it looks
like they're already double sealed and even triple sealed in some places:/

>L. John Morris<ljohn@alltel.net>
>!!!!! ... your local *HEMI* owner ...!!!!!
>'97 SLT+ CC 4x4
>5.2L, 3.92LS

Brett
brett@abacusinfo.com