Re: 97 wind whistle[2]

From: L. J. Morris (ljohn@alltel.net)
Date: Tue Mar 18 1997 - 17:30:59 EST

Brett;

I think Radio Shack has this type of foam for speaker enclosures or if you
really wanted to do it right: Architectural Surfaces, Inc.
                               123 Columbia Ct. No.
                               Jonathan Business Center West
                        Chaska, MN 55318 (612) 448-5300
2" - 3" - 4" thick in sheets of 48"x48" I have to admit the foam I had was
*borrowed* from a building site I was doing some engineering on (they were
putting in a sound proof room) many years ago.

The felt pad I bought at the local carpet warehouse for about $4.50/S.Y.

To remove the rear panels, first take out the upper seat belt bolt, pop the
plastic rivet at the upper rear corner of the pop-out window and work your
way down, becareful there are two hook tabs on either side of the bottom
sound/air vent. You might have to reach in and pop these loose.(slide up
and out) I left the front seat belts attached, just wound them out and put
the panel out next to the truck. I forgot FIRST just pop the plastic
rivets along the panel above the rear seat to remove (pretty easy to do).

To remove the overhead console, take out the phillps screw at the front,
slide the whole console forward about one inch (1") or more and pop the
rear down releasing the two metal spring clips !!!!!!!!...MAKE SURE YOU
HAVE IT SLID FORWARD ENOUGH...!!!!!!

Heck of a thing tearing apart your brand new truck just to see how it
ticks! My wife does not even come near when I start these projects,
however I did find one washer/nut, one rubber bumper, various loose and
left over screws. I have developed quite an assortment over the years.

L. John Morris<ljohn@alltel.net>
!!!!! ... your local *HEMI* owner ...!!!!!
'97 SLT+ CC 4x4
5.2L, 3.92LS
----------
> From: Brett Stoner <brett@abacusinfo.com>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re: 97 wind whistle[2]
> Date: Tuesday, March 18, 1997 2:54 PM

(SNIP)

> Where does one get this foam? There is a place around here that sells
> Dynamat brand road noise insulation, but that seems to be very expensive
at
> the least. The plave that sells it swears by it, but you're probably
> talking $100-$200 for material alone to do the truck.

(SNIP).

> Is there a trick or something I should know before removing the body
> panels? I did it by trial and error on my Ranger to install the cell
phone
> antena and it was not a lot of fun.

(SNIP)

> I've also got the overhead console, but I haven't really noticed any air
> leaking from that area. (Although, I don't think I've had the sunglass
> door open while I was driving. I'll have to look at that)

(SNIP)

> Thanks again:) If you find out anything on the wind noise please let me
> know and I'll do the same. I was thinking of trying to put in some
> additional rubber weather stripping around the door edges, but it looks
> like they're already double sealed and even triple sealed in some
places:/

(SNIP)