RE: Brake rotor problems

From: Schelling, Paul M (SchellinPM@corning.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 13:58:00 EST

My experience:

Rotors started warping around 25k, and I finally had them replaced with
OEM at 40k. These are still OK at 60k. My general impression is that
these brakes need to be babied a little compared to some others. I used
to use the brakes on my Honda so hard they had smoke pouring off of
them, and the rotors still went 90k with no warping - just got too thin.
 I consciously avoid abusing the Dakota brakes.

One factor for you may be the automatic transmission: With less engine
braking, I feel AT vehicles use brakes up noticeably noticeably faster
than manuals.

Driving style is another factor, though with the expert drivers on this
list, I highly doubt it applies to you: I trust that your left foot
stays firmly planted on the carpet to the left of your brake pedal at
all times, and that you use your throttle - not the brake - for speed
adjustment on the highway.

Paul Schelling
'93 Sport, 3.9L, 5spd, 2wd, regular cab