Re: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 16:26:30 EST

> I have a few questions (I've never done this before, duh!):
>
> 1) Do you have to , or do they have the 'burn out' staging
> area?? And if so, is it really necessary for a truck?
>
> 2) How should I setup my tire pressure??
> I have BFG AT tires, and run them at max. pressure now
> (for carrying sand/dirt loads of 1200#), which is
> 50 psi. I planned on keeping 50 psi. in the front and
> airing down the rear to 30-32 psi...
>

> I forgot who was 'racing' on this list recently, but they
>mentioned 3rd gear for their runs @ 91 mph... I have played around
>a bit and found 4th gear runs 95 mph @ 4700-4800 rpm on my truck
>and still pulls...So I am stuck with a 1-2-3-4 shift run on the
>1/4 mile (*At least that is what I am expecting).
>
> ..Sam '95 SLT-R/T (Almost)

Sam

1) You don't have to do a burnout. In fact it depends on how proud of your
tires you are. If you do it takes a little practice. I rev my engine in
1st gear, drop the clutch then quickly but gently apply just enough presure
to the brake pedal to hold the truck still, too much and the back end starts
hoping. You should have it figured out after the first run. If you don't
want to burnout try (if possible) going around the water, obviously. The
burnout does help my launches, expecially if the weather is cool.

2) I don't know about your BFG AT's. I run Dunlop Qualifier GT's, normal
preasure is 35 psi, I usually drop them down to 22-25 psi. You can
experiment with this one, remember to take your air pump so you can air back
up for the trip home.

I can hit 91 in 3rd @5000, but I have 3.21 gears. You will definatly have
to shift to forth before the end. I will be anxious to hear how you do
with your 3.92's, you will probably do better than 91. Keep us posted, and
good luck! I too will be racing this weekend at TAD, but my rockers have
not come in yet so I don't expect any real changes in time from last week.

Alan...

14.873 @ 91.63