Good Stakehole Tie-downs

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 16:41:53 EST

A few days ago, I posted a request asking about good-quality
tiedowns that install in the Dakota's bed stake holes (pre-'97s
don't have stock tiedowns). The tiedowns commonly available in
the local stores suck, quite frankly. I've already broken or
otherwise rendered 4 unusable, and was in the market for something
that could actually take a pounding and let you use ratcheting
load straps.

  The request was roundly ignored, but I remember a few people
asking similar questions on the list, so here's what I found out.

  Penda makes some very cool stainless stake hole tiedowns.
Check out http://www.pendacorp.com/hide.htm for pictures, etc.
You can reach a dealer through the 800 # listed on the Web site,
if you want. But I found that Penda OEMs these goodies to the
Big Three as dealer-installed options, which means that your local
dealer should be able to set you up.

  To make a long story short, I purchased 4 of the Hide-A-Loop
tiedowns from a local Dodge dealer (in a Mopar box, no less),
and installed them in my '95 Dakota last night. They are _trick_.
I yanked and tugged on one with a rope, and it didn't bat an eye.
(The same treatment with the eyebolt or chrome style tiedowns
isn't possible, don't ask how I know). You can barely see them
when they are folded down.

  An excellent investment; I'll be a lot more comfortable hauling
my lawn tractor around from now on.

  Ron