Tonneau covers for pre '97

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Sun Mar 23 1997 - 07:57:28 EST

Hey guys,

I know tonneau covers have been hashed out on here before but I need to
know if anyone has had any expieriance with the flush mount style
tonneau? The kind that goes inside the bed rails. I need this kind so
I can retain my tubular style bed side rails. I will be putting one on
my Dak probably in a few weeks. I have surfed the net and came up with
two possibilities so far.

1. FastBack http://pr.hula.net/impact/fastback/index.html

2. Trendsetter http://www.atzenhoffersales.com/trendset.htm

Both of these are hard tonneaus that come with gas struts and all the
hardware. The FastBack needs no drilling or any modifications to the
truck, and you can open the tailgate while the cover is in place. The
Trendsetter is basically the same -- no drilling and usual tailgate
operation. Both can be painted, but don't have to be. They come in a
black textured finish. I think the black would match pretty good
considering the mirrors, door handles, windows, and air dam are all
black -- I could probably replace my bug shield with a black one -- does
this sound like it would look good? Both covers are around $450.

Anyone ever hear of these brands or does anyone know of any better. I'm
planning on spending a maximum of about $450 on it. I have been told
that the flush mount style is not as weather-proof as the over the side
style, but I don't care much about that, this is mainly for looks. Any
ideas welcome . . .

Michael Clark mike@snakebite.com
93, LE, 2wd, reg. cab, SWB
5.2, Auto, Mk III