Tire question... -Reply

From: slemser@compucom.com (Scott Lemser) (slemser@compucom.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 1997 - 14:41:54 EST

SAM WROTE;

>>> Sam <samp@cts.com> 03/25/97 12:28pm >>>
I am looking at the Dunlap GT Qualifier tire...and have
a few questions:

        #1 How well will this tire do as a daily driver tire??

        #2 I currently run 215/75 -15's, and want to go wider, so
            I planned on a 235/70 -15 tire; Will this fit the front
            okay?

        #3 I want to get a seperate set of tires for the rear for
            'recreational' driving, and was was looking, will a
            255-60/50 15 fit on the rear???

        *Note* I have the stock chromed star type wheels (6.5-7" width)

        ...Sam '95 SLT
Sam,
The Dunlop tire is an excellent choice for all-around performance.
They have outstanding handling characteristics in their class and wear
very well. Wet traction is very good. Although I have never used a set on
a vehicle I raced in, The overall concensus between list members is that
they are up to the task.
The 235/70 may fit on the front whereas a 225/70 is a direct
replacement. Another choice you may want to consider is a 235/60. It
will fit both the wheel and the wheel well.
Finally, the 255/60 will fit on the 6.5 to 7" wheel.
The rest of this post is intended for those of us who may be considering
Drag Racing may need help deciding what tire to use.
It should be noted that, generally, no tire can give the optimum
performance in all catagories. ( Lateral Handling, Wet/Dry traction, Wear
and Straight-Line accelleration ).
Although I have no experience to date with the new BFG Drag Radial, I
do know that a Bias ply or Belted tire such as a M/T Sportsman, Hoosier,
McCreary or Pro-Trac will net better straight-line traction every time. This
is due in part to the sidewall construction. A belted tire allows much more
flex in the sidewall. It acts as a "shock absorber".
 Keep in mind that air pressure and tire size are almost as important as
tread compounds. Bigger is not always better.

Scott Lemser
slemser@compucom.com
See Profile