Re: Towing

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 1997 - 08:42:36 EST

At 10:03 AM 3/27/97 -0600, you wrote:
>>What would be the recomended aftermarket towing package for the 97'?
>>I did not order mine with one because I don't really plan on towing
>>anything, YET. Someone told me about also adding a transmission cooler if I
>>plan on towing anything.
>>What do you think?
>>
>>Todd A. Fairhurst "Toddzilla"
>>fairhurt@silyn.net
>>Future 97' Sport 4x2 Club Cab V6 owner!
>>

>I would think that unless your going to pull a serious trailor with lots of
>drag for long distances you should'nt have anything to worry about. I have
>had serveral trucks and pulled many trailors before and the only time I had
>to add a transmission cooler was because I was pulling one of those big
>travel trailors. It would really heat the truck up.
>
>Your engine temp gauge is a good indicator for how hard the truck
>(engine/transmission) are working. If you notice that it runs hot while
>pulling your trailor then you should consider a transmission cooler.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Alan...

Todd:

I agree with Alan if you only plan to pull a very light utility trailer
using a ball in your bumper ... just get the wiring done correction...
don't tie into the tail lights, run it from the power center under the hood.

But, if you're planning a installing a frame hitch, and pulling something
bigger, a transmission cooler is a wise investment. To give you an example,
I gave my Volore (6 cyl auto) to my sister. They towed a tent trailer
over the Caquahala mid summer and nearly overheated the engine ... pulled
to the side serveral times to let it cool down. Engine was fine, but
within 2 months the transmission packed it in ... no trans cooler.

Also don't forget, you can pack a bunch of weight in the truck as well as
towing the trailer ... it all adds up.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia