RE: MSD stuff....

From: Steve Connelly (stevec@extendsys.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 11:40:49 EST

>----------

A few months ago, when I was trying to stop the excessive pinging on my
Dakota, I disconnected the Jacobs Omni-Pak and reconnected the stock
coil. I had gapped the plugs at 0.050" when I installed the Omni-Pak a
couple of years ago because that is what Jacobs said to do. The normal
gap is 0.035". When I reconnected the stock coil, the pickup ran just
fine. And after a few weeks of driving this way, I bought new plugs and
installed them (the old Autolite cheap copper plugs had 30,000 miles on
them). When I pulled the old plugs out, I measured the gap at 0.060".
So the stock coil seemed to do OK with the gap much bigger than it is
spec'd at. But new plugs with the correct gap did squelch the pinging
considerably.....

Steven Connelly
93 Dakota CC 4x4 V8
stevec@extendsys.com