Re: MSD stuff.... -Reply -Reply

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 17:51:04 EST

Maddog:
> The MSD wires I got are a new kind I think..... they use solid copper
>spiral wound around a special core. Supposed to be about 40-50 ohms per foot
>I think. They're 8.5mm.

Yeah, but do they come with 8.5mm wire stays?

The resistance isn't the whole story - the impedance a high frequency
impulse will see is what really matters, otherwise house wiring would
work great.

I think the larger diameter of wire is mainly of benefit because they have
more silicon rubber between the conductor and ground. It takes more
voltage to break down the insulation.

The major benefit of heat shielding would be to preserve the insulative
properties of the silicon rubber - which degrades with heat and age.

Jim
The "Assault Weapons" ban is drive-by legislation. The target: Crime;
the victimized innocent bystander: the lawfully armed Citizen.
     ~*~*~ Tyranny Insurance by Colt's Manufacturing Cos. ~*~*~