'97 5.2L 0-60 times

From: Jeffrey Misner (jbmisner@mtu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 20:37:23 EST

There were a few interested in my 0-60 times I'm getting in my '97 Dakota.
First here's the specifications for my truck:

5.2L V-8 (230 Hp and 300ft-lb)
4 speed automatic (Not sure which one)
3.55 in the differential
The "Shipping Weight" of my truck is 3862 lbs, however I'm quite a large
guy weighing about 230lbs and my friend (who was in the truck timing me
was around 200lbs). I also had the bed full of snow (The added weight
really helps me get traction up here) I figure about 150-200lbs. So the
total weight (when I performed the test) was around 4500 lbs.

The road was straight, and pretty level, it was a little wet and there was
sand on the road (Up here it's too cold to use salt!). My guess was the
outside temp was around 35 degrees farenheit.

I ran the test twice, once brake-torquing it (at full throttle and no
wheel-spin = 2000 RPM) and ran 10 seconds flat +/- human error in reaction
time for me taking off and human error for pressing stop on the stopwatch.
I was surprised, but the tires didn't spin too bad, only about .5 seconds
or so.

The 2nd test, I just hit the gas at full throttle. I still ran 10 seconds
flat +/- the same as above. This time the tires didn't spin as much,
probably about 0.35 seconds.

As far as I know the pre '97 dakota's were lighter, and they probably
are faster. My friend with his '91 with a 4spd auto and the 3.9 v-6 ran
pretty consistant high 16's in the 1/4 mi.
Weather or not a pre '97 will blow the doors off a '97 really depends on
the weight. I have an extended cab, so my truck is by no means
light, nor is it optimized for speed with the 3.55 and the automatic and
my 215 75R15 Invicta GL's. (I didn't have time to search for a real
screamer, Heck, I was home on spring break and my 1990 Beretta GTZ bit the
dust the day before I had to be back to school so I got whatever was on
the lot that had the v-8.)

I believe the weight ranges from 3300 - 4800 lbs depending on club cab or
4x4 or v-8.

Anyway, I hope this clears this up and as soon as I break my engine in,
and the weather gets better I'll re-take my 0-60 times and post them here.

Jeff
1997 Dodge Dakota Sport
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT