Re: NV3500 Tranny fluid

From: Phil McClay (Phil_McClay@iegate.mitre.org)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 15:45:28 EST

         Reply to: RE>NV3500 Tranny fluid

Keith,

the NV3500 tranny fluid really is special stuff; it is not motor oil, but more likely synthetic gear oil without the motor oil detergents. Guys on the list have substituted synthetic motor oil (20W50) with good results. I personally replaced it with the Mopar required fluid (Like you I've got a '94 Dak with 7/70 protection, so it was/is still under warranty and I was not going to take any chances). The only problem with the Mopar fluid is getting it. Most dealers don't know anything about it (makes you wonder what they're putting in your truck) and it is expensive (about $11/quart, sometimes only available by the case). Make sure you have the part number with you if you try to buy it from the dealer (my dealer said they put ATF in them, which is probably the worst thing you could do).

Tech Tip: the transmission drain/fill plugs come out with a 17mm hex key (readily available). BUT, this is an aluminum-case transmission so using a torque wrench is very important! The solution we (me and another Dakota buddy) came up with was to buy one (1) 17mm hex key and cut two 1.5 inch sections from it --> now you can stick one end of the hex key in the filler/drain plug and turn it with a 17mm socket and your torque wrench. I've still got enough hex key left for two more "sections" in case anybody is interested.

The transfer case uses ATF. There is nothing remarkable here, but again the use of a torque wrench is important --> the required torque is much less than you would think! Especially too for the skid plates! Don't over torque stuff. Oh yeah, the torque spec in the shop manual is wrong for the front splash deflector shield (I blew one thread out finding out about it). Back to the transfer case: the nut is too big to get an adjustable wrench on, unless you've got a real big one. Also, the nuts are a little "counter sunk" into the case so there is not much to grab onto. I bit the bullet and bought the really huge socket to fit it. It doesn't matter if you buy the English or metric socket (whatever is available) because so little torque is put onto it. I'll check tonight to see what size it is, or maybe somebody else will post it.

Phil McClay
mcclay@mitre.org
1994 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-speed 4x4