RE: mild off-roading in 4WD Dakota?

From: Kraieski, Mark (Mark.Kraieski@transquest.com)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 16:35:59 EST

I off-road frequently an a '92 4WD Club Cab V8 auto. I have also owned a
LR Discovery (heavily off-roaded) and have off-roaded a bit in
LandCruisers and Jeeps and even a Subaru BRAT.

It takes patience and planning to offroad in the Dak. The rear overhang,
stiff suspension (I have the towing package - there is virtually no
droop of the wheels to conform to terrain), wide turning radius and long
wheelbase make even mild trails challenging compared to other
purpose-built off-road vehicles.

I'm thinking of putting in a rear locker to take some of the drama away.
I also carry 2 pair of tire chains which come in real handy in sand, mud
or slippery surfaces. It could really use the 3" lift kit but at $1,000+
and more for installation, I'd rather save for a new Wrangler. Until
then, I will avoid difficult trails and have fun where I can while
investing minimally in the Dak.

Mark
Mark E. Kraieski
Director, Enterprise Product Development
TransQuest, Inc. 404/773-8537