Re: mild off-roading in 4WD Dakoka?

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 19:49:40 EST

>does anyone use the 4wd part of their dakota for anything but snow, boat ramps,
>and the occassional sandy spot?

There are a few of us who've used our Dakotas off-road, check the profiles.

I have a Club Cab 4x4 and you will find off-road situations where the long
wheelbase poses a bit of a problem. Tight turns aren't too bad - the (older)
Dakotas are narrow enough that you can usually jockey around a bit. Sharp
hills and hummocks worn to Jeep CJ dimensions are quite another matter.
I think a shortbed regular cab would be fine. The 131" wheelbase on mine
puts my driveshaft at risk.

I've gone some pretty incredible places even stock. I have to say having
31" tires opens many more possibilities, especially for boulder hopping.

>the austin, texas area or surrounding areas. nothing boulder strewn and sheet

I would look in the Yellow Pages for off-road shops, visit them, and look
for a bulletin board where clubs might post a newsletter. Or maybe there's
something akin to the Glovebox Guide we have here in California -- has some
general tips on how to handle different obstacles (mud, sand, rocks) and
trail descriptions from all over the state. Also has a good guide to what
you should carry with you - tow straps, spare parts, tools, hi-lift jack -
besides food and water. At least at first, try to find someone to go with.

A Dakota with Sure-Grip and a V8 is a VERY capable vehicle. Best of all is
how much nicer than anything else getting to and from the dirt roads!
[At least, lacking the $$$$s for a Land Rover or new Mercedes.]

Jim

Tread Lightly on Public and Private Lands -- If we abuse it, we'll lose it!