Re: engine noise & platnium plugs

From: Sam (samp@cts.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 11:45:25 EST

Travis Lytle wrote:

> I have a 95 dak with about 50,000 miles. I think I am in need of a new cat
> but not for sure. When in gear going down the road it seems make like a
> knockin or ping noise or maybe even just a hole in the cat noise. I pretty
> sure its the cat but not positive because I've been to busy to crawl under
> there and look. But while out of gear and rev the engine a couple times

        Hole in the CAT?? Have someone cover the tail pipe and listen for
exhaust leaks... If you have less than 50000 miles and you CAT is bad,
you are covered under the emissions warranty...

> the noise is completely gone! Is this normal of a hole in cats? or would
> it possible be something else? This is been going on for quit a while now
> and I'm just now getting around to fixing it thanks to those 10 hour days,
> 6 day a week at work. Last night was about the first time I think I could
> get on it in 2nd and have the backend loosen up a little. It's been a
> while since I could light them up like that. So I know there is something
> going wrong here. The computer is just giving me code 55. Although I did
> replace the cap, rotor, and plugs(platinum) about a month ago and drive
> very frequently about 100 miles a day, it didn't seem to stop the noise nor
> the getup and go problem.
>
> Any idea guys?
>
> Yes I'm using Bocsh platinum plugs and had the same noise before as I did
> with these. Kind of weird though I have more getup and go with these than
> the others but I guess that cap and rotor could have help too and a
> different set of plugs would be better?
>
> Travis Lytle

        I too have a '95 (56000 miles) 5 spd, and one thing that I had
with my '91 was a broke CAT heat shield that would make a pinging sound
while driving... Check that too...

        Sam '95 SLT