engine noise & platnium plugs

From: Travis Lytle (trav@comptec.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 14:34:32 EST

I have a 95 dak with about 50,000 miles. I think I am in need of a new cat
but not for sure. When in gear going down the road it seems make like a
knockin or ping noise or maybe even just a hole in the cat noise. I pretty
sure its the cat but not positive because I've been to busy to crawl under
there and look. But while out of gear and rev the engine a couple times
the noise is completely gone! Is this normal of a hole in cats? or would
it possible be something else? This is been going on for quit a while now
and I'm just now getting around to fixing it thanks to those 10 hour days,
6 day a week at work. Last night was about the first time I think I could
get on it in 2nd and have the backend loosen up a little. It's been a
while since I could light them up like that. So I know there is something
going wrong here. The computer is just giving me code 55. Although I did
replace the cap, rotor, and plugs(platinum) about a month ago and drive
very frequently about 100 miles a day, it didn't seem to stop the noise nor
the getup and go problem.

Any idea guys?

Yes I'm using Bocsh platinum plugs and had the same noise before as I did
with these. Kind of weird though I have more getup and go with these than
the others but I guess that cap and rotor could have help too and a
different set of plugs would be better?

Travis Lytle