Re: Plastic Radiator??

From: L. J. Morris (ljohn@alltel.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 08:35:25 EST

Keith;

You are right the "radiator" is aluminum, but the side tanks are plastic.
These tanks are crimp sealed to the radiator with either a gasket or epoxy
(depends on the supplier). This type of construction builds-up a lot of
internal stresses in the plastic, hence the susceptibility to
cracking/splitting. Just imagine how much stress is related to heat-up and
cool-down. The coefficient of expansion for plastic is much, much greater
than most metals.