Re: Re[4]: Tech Question - 'A' Block heads

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Thu Apr 03 1997 - 17:29:53 EST

Sean:
> I'm not positive, but I'd be willing to bet the injectors in a 5.9L
> are bigger. You'd probably have to upgrade to a higher rated set.

> That setup would probably be a real screamer. Putting that cam in a
> smaller displacement motor would make it seem a bit "lumpier". You'd
> probably want to look at some cleanup work to the intake. Extrude

You and I are thinking along the same lines. I'd be willing to bet the
intake manifold for the production Magnums are identical - 5.2 & 5.9 l.

If the 300 hp crate motor is using the Magnum MP cam (not the .5", but
the .46"), it is supposed to be usable in either 5.2l or 5.9l Magnums.
The 5.9l is the same bore - just stroked????

If I used a crate motor, I'd hesitate to take the heads off. If I rebuilt
the stock engine, I'd consider a cast 360 crank ($420) or a forged 3.65"
stroke, and bore to 3.94", for a 356 cid. I'd hesitate to go much bigger
on bore [MP lists a small block with a 398 cid using 3.79 S x 4.10 B]
with a stock block. Their race blocks have double the deck thickness.
BTW, the forged cranks all cost $959. Billet crank for $1950 !!!!!

To get all this past the California Air Resources Board I'd lean towards
the Extrude Hone manifold work, and I'm not afraid of polishing heads
myself - had pretty good success on my SAAB (Ford of Europe) heads.

As to the injectors - as with the manifold, I'm sure they're the same
parts. The computer just orders them to stay open a tad longer.

Jim

--
Happiness is (according to Aristotle): "The exercise of vital powers
along lines of excellence in a life affording them scope."