Re[6]: Tech Question - 'A' Block heads

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 06:00:18 EST

>You and I are thinking along the same lines. I'd be willing to bet the
>intake manifold for the production Magnums are identical - 5.2 & 5.9l.

        I agree. It also seems to be a half way decent design. Nice
long intake runners for good torque. Hone that puppy and it'd probably
flow like mad. Choker in the system is probably the TBI. Oh Jules...

>If the 300 hp crate motor is using the Magnum MP cam (not the .5", but
>the .46"), it is supposed to be usable in either 5.2l or 5.9l Magnums.
>The 5.9l is the same bore - just stroked????

        The crate motors are 4.00" bore and a 3.58" stroke. I think
the 5.2L are 3.91" bore and a 3.23"-3.25" stroke (can't remember).

>If I used a crate motor, I'd hesitate to take the heads off.

        Full agreement here. Why buy an assembled engine that you
probably paid a little extra for it coming assembled and then turn around
and dismantle half of it. When I finally get to doing my '84 Mustang
I'll probably buy an assembled short block (I'm thinking about a stroker
351W that's poked and stroked to 427 cid!!) and order the alum. heads
elsewhere. I'm curious about the new aluminum Chrysler heads Edelbrock
is offering. You'd have to go the carb route as it would require the
older small block intake but could be a real power maker.

>If I rebuilt the stock engine, I'd consider a cast 360 crank ($420) or a
>forged 3.65" stroke, and bore to 3.94", for a 356 cid. I'd hesitate to
>go much bigger on bore [MP lists a small block with a 398 cid using 3.79
>S x 4.10 B] with a stock block. Their race blocks have double the deck
>thickness. BTW, the forged cranks all cost $959. Billet crank for
>$1950!!!!!

        A stroker would be killer! Cranks can get pretty pricey but the
cast will do fine unless you plan to rev it to 8 grand and shoot 200hp
worth of nitrous into the thing. ;)

>To get all this past the California Air Resources Board I'd lean towards
>the Extrude Hone manifold work, and I'm not afraid of polishing heads
>myself - had pretty good success on my SAAB (Ford of Europe) heads.

        Too bad the Extrude Hone is still so dang expensive. I got a
buddy here at work that ported is own heads on a Mustang a few years back
and then took the dremel he bought to do it back to Sears when he was
done. I've never done this and the only thing that worries me is going
crazy, hogging the ports out, and killin' of all the velocity. I would
like to try it though. Howell Automotive sells reworked Magnum heads for
about a grand with upgraded valves and high lift Crane springs. These
could be cool.

>As to the injectors - as with the manifold, I'm sure they're the same
>parts. The computer just orders them to stay open a tad longer.

        You're probably on to sumthin' here. Would make sense from a
production standpoint since they're built on the same line.

TTYL

Sean
'97 318/5spd/3.55SG/Edelbrock-K&N FIPK clone MSD 6A on its way!
sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com