Tech Question - 'A' Block heads

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 13:17:50 EST

Someone like KuKooter could probably answer this, but I'm not sure he's
still tuned to this channel...

Picked up the new '97 MP catalog, which has a separate section for Magnum
engine parts. There is no listing for roller rockers. There is a camshaft
package (P5249549), which I think has roller followers. I've never had
the valve covers off (don't want to break the seal), but I understand
the Magnum heads have stud-mounted rockers, where previous Mopar heads
all use rocker shafts. Later in the catalog, they list all sorts of hi-po
parts for the small block "A" engine (273,318,340), but the heads, std,
W-2, W-5, and new W-7, all seem to be set up only for rocker shafts, and
the rocker kits obviously also.

Here's the basic question: How does the Magnum head breathe compared to
the various performance (W-2, W-5, W-7) heads?

Second question: Anyone tried the cam kit above? Sounds like it broadens
the torque curve a bit - a GOOD THING!

Has anyone checked with their local parts counter for prices on Magnum
crate motors, or '96-'97 roller valve train parts? I haven't - yet.

Jim
            o _
                        \_| \ (_)
                             (_)' _\o_ face plant!