Re: Transfer Case Whine

From: L. J. Morris (ljohn@alltel.net)
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 08:29:15 EST

Mark;

Try placing rubber (synthetic) washers or spacers between the 4WD shift
bracket and its mounting bosses on the trany, this may help based on the
fact that you said by moving the shifter 1/4" the sound goes away. It
sounds to me that you are just building-up a harmonic resonance due to
normal wear and tear.

I was hearing a rotational tick/whine from the trany area on my '97, asked
the Dealer's mechanic and he said it was normal. So I removed all the
shifter trim, cut a piece of carpet padding (with all the holes for the
shifters, attachment tangs, etc.) placed it in the shifter area and put
back all the trim. Noise is still there, as it is normal, but I can not
hear it in the cab any longer.

L. John Morris<ljohn@alltel.net>
!!!!! ... your local *HEMI* owner ...!!!!!
'97 SLT+ CC 4x4
5.2L, 3.92SG