Transfer Case Whine

From: Kraieski, Mark (Mark.Kraieski@transquest.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 1997 - 08:19:38 EST

Vehicle: '92 Dakota, Club Cab, 4WD, V8, Automatic, 86,000 miles

Symptoms: The transfer case has a whine proportional to road speed.
Especially prevalent above about 50 MPH. At highway speeds it sounds
almost like a vacuum hose leak which is what I first thought it was. But
if you move the xfer case shift lever 1/4 inch to the right, the sound
goes away. It appears to be two surfaces in contact somewhere in the
case.

Anyone else experience this? The transmission was dropped by the dealer
twice in the first 10,000 miles - once for rebuild and then for
replacement. Is it possible the xfer case shift linkage is not aligned
properly? The sound has gradually gotten louder over the life of the
vehicle - first noticed around 20,000 miles but only recently figured
out what it is. I'm getting ready to switch to a synthetic gear oil in
the xfer case shortly and hope that might soften the sound a bit.

Mark
Mark E. Kraieski
Director, Enterprise Product Development
TransQuest, Inc. 404/773-8537
mailto:mark.kraieski@transquest.com