Re: Track / rocker results

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 15:56:41 EDT

Alan Casey wrote:

> I am going to Dyno my truck on the 26th, I am going to try a K&N then to see
> if it helps. Right now I use a filter from an S-10. Its taller and thiner
> than the Dakota's and seems to breath alot better, especially since it
> raises the lid off the air cleaner box. But I will find out just how well
> it breaths. As for headers, I not sure, I keep hearing conflicting sides on
> this issue. Some say the stock manifolds work great and that very little if
> any gains are to be had with headers. Still others say it definatley gave
> them more torque. At $500 this is a tough one.
> You may have something on the injector side. I have often wondered how us
> Dak guys can change up fuel preasure since the regulator is part of the
> module on the tank?
>
> Hell I guess I could just say screw it all and stick a Vortech on the damn
> thing. Then again I could have my head examined...
>
> Thanks for the input
>
> Alan...

Think about it Alan, if the injectors provide enough fuel with a
supercharger ramming all that extra air in, they'll have no problem
doing it with your modest mods. The biggest restriction on the exhaust
aside from the muffler is the pinched miniscule piping from the
manifolds to the convertor. Replace them with 2 1/4" aluminized pipe
(bent with care by a good shop) into a flowmaster Y pipe (summit
racing/jegs) and have the shop relocate the O2 sensor as necessary. From
the cat back I recommend the Gibson system. Similar mods on my truck
yielded nearly a 4/10ths gain. Here is my experience:

Stock w/invictas and Jacobs ignition 15.70

MP sbec 15.45

Exhaust mods 15.10

Pulleys/fipk/wider tires 14.90

180 thermostat 14.81@93.5mph