Re: 97 wind whistle or differential noise

From: Michael Kneebone (kneebone@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 16:20:18 EDT

At 08:40 AM 4/8/97 -0400, Ray wrote:
>I have a 97 Extented cab 2wheel drive, Auto Overdrive 6cyl 13,000 miles
High pitch whine from Differential 48 - 52 mph. It seems to originate from
the differential. The dealer has inspected it and called Chrysler.
Chrysler claims it is present in all standard rear ends. My dealer will
replace the rear end but is not sure if the problem will go away. I need to
know if this problem is present in other Dakotas Please let me know if you
do or do not have this problem before I have it replaced<<

I have the identical truck (97 Extented cab 2wheel drive, Auto Overdrive
6cyl) with 8,500 miles and it is as quiet, as quiet can be.

>>Chrysler claims it is present in all standard rear ends<<

You gotta love the internet - tell those guys that it is not present in
"all standard read ends" and to start replacing parts until it is fixed.

Michael Kneebone