RE: Wind Whistle

From: Paul Caskey (pcaskey@swcp.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 08:48:10 EDT

Datapoint: My '96 has whistled since the first test drive. Everyone
in the car thought it was the horn. So I guess I should call it a "honk"
instead of a "whistle". I traced it down to the driver's side window,
near the bottom at the front, where the window has an angle in it. If I
press on that spot, the honk noise goes away.

It's pretty obnoxious, but it only happens at 70+ mph, when the wind is
blowing. If those New Mexico spring winds are blowing at 40 mph, it
happens at much lower speed, like 40 instead of 70.

The dealership tried to fix it by replacing the seal (after going around
in circles trying to fix the horn, despite the fact I told them it was
the glass). That helped a bit, but not much. I've decided I have to
live with it.

Sounds like Dakotas are good at whistling in a variety of ways.

Paul