Re: Track / rocker results

From: Alan Casey (acasey@io.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 17:56:00 EDT

> Hey Alan.
>
> You mentioned that the truck is able to rev higher with the new
> rockers. I'm no expert but I believe the rockers should have very
> little effect on the 'duration' part of the cam. That would mean that
> the power band shouldn't shift much but simply become a bit more
> 'peaky' with the additional lift. Did you try running with the same
> shift points as before? Just an idea.
>
> Sam may also have a valid point about the headers bringing back some
> lost low end power. With all the extra lift and the extra airflow
> that comes with it you need to be able to move that air out the other
> end. You could be at a point now that the stock exhaust manifolds
> have reached their limits. A switch to even a good shorty tubular
> header and 2 1/4" downpipes might wake up a sleeping beast. The K&N
> would really help here as well. I was amazed at the difference my
> FIPK clone made on my '97.
>
> I'm following your results with the rockers pretty closely. With my
> OBDII this may be the only available route for me in the cam
> department and I'm really interested in the improvements you get. I
> was suprised that your trap speed didn't increase. I could see the ET
> not improving or even slipping but the trap speed should increase.
> Look at Kuk's 15.3's at 99 and Jerry's 13.2's at 99. Both show plenty
> of horsepower but Kuk's just overpowers the current chassis/tire
> setup. I see on his profile that a snubber and slicks are planned ;).
>
> You haven't mentioned what gears you're currently running. That may
> be a better bang for the buck for a seat of the pants improvement at
> this point depending on what your current ratio is.
>
> Just wanted to throw out a couple of ideas.
>
> Sean
> '97 318/5spd/3.55SG/Edelbrock-K&N FIPK clone
> MSD 6A ignition awaiting install
> sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com

Thanks for the input Sean.

I shifted at 5000 the first time, but since my low end was lacking I moved
up to 5300.
I have noticed that my mph is slower than most, I really expected this to
improve with the rockers. Maybe headers are the best option at this point.
Would'nt it be great if you could try them out first before you buy them?
I have 3.21 gears, I know 3.92 would be optimum, but I sure am happy with
the 3.21's on the highway. Changing the gears will be my last resort.

Vortech keeps sounding better and better. There I go again, loosing my marbles.

Alan...