RE: valve cover gaskets

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 15:25:00 EDT

>>Here's another question for any of you out there who have
>>replaced your valve covers (or gaskets)... and maybe for
<snip>
>>ones already on the truck?? Opinions, ideas, comments??

>The gaskets that come *with* the Mopar Magnum valve covers are going to
work
>great. Don't buy any other gaskets. Man, I've never seen such nice
gaskets
>just for the valve covers. With ten bolts in each cover, these things
should
>work just fine. :^)

I did notice the nice gaskets in the picture in the MP catalog, but
wasn't sure why they had a "heavy duty" set as well... I'll probably
compare the ones from the kit, with my stock gaskets, just to see... And
I always save old parts anyway... Thanks for the advice!!

>I would be very suspicious of someone "blowing out" their valve cover
gaskets.
>That indicates very high crankcase pressures which means there is
something
>seriously wrong with the engine.

Well, if I remember correctly, it was Kuk, whose running between 300-325
HP on his '95, so maybe that had something to do with it... (hey, I'll
check the mailing list archives and find the post!)

>Most of the time, these little guys leak because someone has bent their
valve
>covers from over-torquing them. Go easy on the little fellas. :^)

Yikes! Do the instructions specify how much torque?? The FSM for my '96
say 95 in/lbs. so that is what I planned to torque 'em down to.

>Ned, get that new TBI installed so you can let me know how it works.
 I've
>gotta get some more "go-faster" parts before I go up against that
Meldrum guy.
>:^) :^) :^)

<grin>.. I talked to Jules earlier this week, and hopefully he'll be
finishing up my TBI soon... don't worry, you and the other guys on the
list will be first (ok, 2nd besides me) to know when the TBI is
installed! Hmm, wasn't Sean ordering one of those too??

Ciao for now!

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone
MSD Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon!